Sunday, October 7, 2012

Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate

Last week, I got my Williams-Sonoma fall catalog which was like an early Christmas present! I had my eye on a few trusty favorites I've gotten before (the spooky gingerbread house, for example) but what caught my attention was a jar of my absolute favorite fall flavor combination: salted caramel sauce. Williams-Sonoma suggests you use it slightly heated on ice cream, but I've got a few other recipes up my sleeve and I can't wait for you to try them!
The first thing I was dying to try was a copycats Starbucks' Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate recipe. It's a combination of toffee nut and mocha syrups topped with whipped cream, caramel, and sea salt. If you've never had one, it's truly a must-have fall treat. I recently tried the SCHC packets that Starbucks is selling in hopes to replicate with minimal effort but to my dismay the final product was dull and mostly flavorless (and missing the whipped cream, obviously!). Determined to replicate it, I took matters into my own hands. Here is my recipe for SCHC and if I do say so myself, it is amazing and an essential fall drink (measurements are estimated as I typically use a gargantuan mug). 
Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate
  • 2 tbsp Hershey's Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder (you can sub regular for a sweeter drink)
  • 2 tbsp Sugar
  • Pinch of Fleur de Sel (sub table salt if you don't have it)
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla
  • Enough milk to fill your mug about 2 inches below the top
  • 2-3 tbsp Salted Caramel Sauce (or get fancy and make your own with this recipe.)
  • Whipped Cream (homemade is ideal, but store bought will do!)
Measure and heat your milk on the stove on medium until the milk forms small bubbles around the edges of the pan (or warmer or cooler depending on your preference). While the milk is heating, combine cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and vanilla into your mug. Then, measure your salted caramel sauce in a small bowl and heat in the microwave until runny (about 30-45 seconds) Take care not to burn it. When your milk is done, pour it in your mug and combine until smooth. Then, scoop your sauce in the mug and stir until combined well. Finally, top with homemade whipped cream (Super easy! Recipe to follow.), the remaining caramel sauce, a sprinkle of fleur de sel and voila! You have yourself a little cup of heaven.

Homemade Whipped Cream
Whipped Cream is one of my family's favorite things that I make. Every time I made dessert, they ask for me to make it, too (and I usually do). It's so easy and fresh and I love that you can control the end result (texture, flavor, amount, etc). Enjoy on everything from SCHC to cheesecake, but you'll have to talk to Rachel about the recipe to the latter (ask her about her fruit pies while you're at it!)
  • 1 c Heavy Whipping Cream
  • 1/4 c Sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
In your stand mixer, whip the cream until you see peaks forming. Then, add the sugar and vanilla until the cream is holding it's peaks firmly.

That's it for now, but I just made Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Brownies and they are phenom. I'll share the recipe with you soon! Happy Baking and Happy Fall!
 Lauren



No comments:

Post a Comment