Thursday, October 11, 2012

Invisalign

Hello there!

     I've been debating writing this post for a while, but coming from a recent orthodontics appointment, now seemed like a good time. I have Invisalign braces, which are clear orthodontic devices used as a braces alternative. I started the treatment in July of 2012 and am only on tray 6 of 30.
Each case requires a different number of tray sets, and not everyone is eligible to use the devices. A consultation with an Invisalign certified orthodontist will tell you whether or not your dental problems can be solved in this manner. The process is fairly simply. From consultation, molds are made and sent in to Align.


Truth? Its kind a gross to do. Painless and easy, but gross. I was picking bits of dried purple goo off of my tongue afterward. Yuck.
The molds are then translated into computer imaging. Align computerizes your teeth movement to determine whether or not teeth need to be pulled, filing needs to be done, buttons are needed, etc. This also determines how many trays will be needed. In my case, no teeth need to be pulled, but in areas of crowding, mu orthodontist will have to file down a few milometers of tooth to create minuscule spaces. Its painless as well, though can be a little uncomfortable to hear happen, as its a bit like sandpaper. I also have 8 buttons. They are small, tooth colored attachments that anchor the trays to teeth and help with movement. They are not very visible and are comfortable.
As far as visibility of the actual devices is concerned, unless someone knew you had them, it looks like you have very shiny teeth. When kept clean, they stay invisible.
There is a lot of maintenance involved. The trays must be cleaned with each removal, and teeth must be brushed and flossed before replacing them. Nothing can be consumed with them in, with the exception of filtered water. That being said, it becomes a routine that is well worth the results.
My main goal in this post is for it to be a PSA of sorts. There is a possibility that one can have an allergic reaction to the trays. I did, and was not told it could happen. My orthodontist did not know it could occur. It seems to be infrequent, but it would be in your best interest  if you are looking into Invisalign, to ask for the hypoallergenic version, which they do make. Symptoms appeared within the first few days for me. It was like having an extreme upper respiratory infection. I also broke out in baseball sized hives all over my body, that began in my joints. After a visit to the ER and a call to my ortho, who contacted Align, we discovered that Invisalign was really the cause. New trays of the other material were ordered. and I restarted my treatment a few weeks later, after a course of steroids and antihistamines  Be wary of this possibility when pursuing Inivisalign.

I hope the brief background is helpful to some!

Thanks for reading,
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    My name is Clara, I'm portuguese and 50 years old.
    Please excuse my english because it's not my mother language.
    I would like to share may story with Invisalign Retainers, because of so much distress it caused me, so that I wish it would never occur to other people.

    I started wearing the trays on july 2015 and immediately got an abdominal inflammatory reaction that, despite all examinations got no diagnosis. I lost 6 kilograms.
    Got diagnosed with exhaustion in december, again in february and had to quit working in may.
    Blood examinations accused nothing.

    I had extreme fatigue, blurred vision, no balance, dry mouth, persistent cough, bloated tongue, dehydrated skin and corneas, pain in the veins and bones.

    I couldn't even performe my daily duties.
    I found out what could be the reason after my orthodontist asked me to keep the same trays for 1 month. I went to internet to find out if the over use of the trays could be harmful and found out a lot of information from people relating the same effects.

    My orthodontist refused to accept that could be the reason even after I sent her the links.
    My other doctors are not willing to give me a report based on the symptoms and on the fact that I recovered after quitting the use of the trays.

    i found out that doctors don´t dare to make reports and refuse that a medical device could be harmful. It's a systems based on selling medications and examinations but never dare to confront something big.It' s frightening because I could have had a disrupted vein, die of it and nobody would have noticed.

    So i 'm very grateful for all people that shared their experiences because it probably saved my life.

    Thank you

    Clara Amaral

    ReplyDelete