Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Cut-Throat World of Internships

     The "I'm graduating in a year" panic has officially begun. It makes me feel like a crazy person. I think about my future about every third breath I take- it's exhausting! I am in the public relations field and I know from all of my professors that the most valuable thing I can do during my college career is INTERN INTERN INTERN. I hear this from everyone, but no one seems to have sound advice about how to nab one. In case you're going through the same torture as I am, here are some tips I've found work for me!


How to Land a Valuable Internship
1. Get on every email list possible. My most valubale resource for internships is PRSSA- join it or one similar for your major. They are super helpful  and the faculty leaders in them are a start to networking.
2. Network! What does this even mean?! Essentially you need to meet everyone you can and tell them that you're the best student ever and that you would be a  valuable asset to any business.
3. Apply for every internship that comes your way! Seriously, once I applied for an internship at a biscut festival. (Not getting that one was a blow to my ego.) The most important part is getting your foot in the door! Even if it's not your dream job, it's good interview experience.
4. Keep applying until you get land an interview! Don't give up!
What to Do When You Land an Interview
5. Congrats! You have your foot in the door! Now, you need to prep for your interview. Knowing how the company lends itself to the media is a really important factor- you should also be knowledgable about projects they're working on and come with a few questions.
6. Bring your resume and show your worth on it! Businesses like numbers. Did you create a growth in sales? Did you create more reader engagement on a blog? Be prepared to discuss how these achievements will translate into things the company will want. Also be sure to bring writing samples and reference letters!
7. Be calm. Be yourself! The right internship will pop up if you apply diligently for every one you come across and know your worth.
8. Evaluate yourself after every interview and see what you can improve on. Good luck!!

I hope this helps! Do you know any other good internship tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment